- Propylene glycol is used as a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable, and topical formulations.
- In alcohol-based hand sanitizers, it is used as a humectant to prevent the skin from drying.
- It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products.
- It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries.
- Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.